Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My FAVArite-Lemony Spinach and Fava Beans

I know I know...what a lame title. Whatever. To thine own self be true. I recently discovered fava beans (broad beans if you're a less exciting person) at a Mediterranean restaurant owned by my dear friends and there's just no goin' back. I'm going to go ahead and admit here that this recipe is thoroughly and utterly inspired by the fava beans in the hummus supreme that I always order there and subsequently about which I have mega food dreams. Instead of atop their super kicky hummus, I made these favas into a nutrient-dense spinach side dish (p.s. fava beans are awesome for you. Like, weekend at the spa where someone mistakes you for Jennifer Lawrence awesome). Here goes:

(Lebanese-inspired) Lemony Spinach and Fava Beans

1 tbsp coconut oil (I use non-virgin because I can't stand the taste of the other stuff)
1c minced yellow onion (I used 1/2 of a Godzilla onion I had)
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp minced fresh dill (you can use dried dill, just cut the amount in half...unless you like dill like me, in which case...double it)
1 tsp dried thyme
1c steamed fava beans
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 heaping tbsp tahini
salt to taste

1. Heat pan on medium and add coconut oil. Once melted, add onion and garlic and saute until onion is clear. Add herbs and saute for 1 minute. 
2. Add the beans, lemon juice and tahini to the pan and stirring constantly until the tahini is "melted". Okay, you can stop stirring now...once combined, turn stove to low and let simmer for three minutes. Taste, add salt or more lemon, taste, add more if need be...
3. Serve warm, maybe with a dollop of your fave hummus. 

I knew this was a good'n when Dan went back to the pan to see if he could scare up another fava. I hope you have the same results.

Love,
Jes

P.S. In writing this, I've discovered that spell check doesn't know the words tahini or fava. Sad, spell check, very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment